THE CHARLEROI AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY
Our historical building is located at 638 Fallowfield Avenue in downtown Charleroi,
a small town situated along the Monongahela River in Washington County, Pennsylvania.
Charleroi’s first public library was organized in 1941 and housed at 401 Sixth Street.
On April 30, 1975, the former Charleroi Post Office building at 638 Fallowfield Avenue was acquired by Charleroi Borough. A group of civic-minded individuals formed The Library Advisory Board. The board incorporated to raise funds to buy the former postal site from the borough. Eventually, they raised enough funds to purchase the old Post Office for $25,000 as a new home for the library.
In 1980, the John K. Tener Public Library opened its doors to serve the community at the new location. Named in honor of John K. Tener, 25th Governor of PA, former US Congressman, once Major League baseball player and league executive, President of the First National Bank, and resident of Charleroi.
The library remains in the former United States Post Office which was built in 1912. It is now registered as a National Historical Landmark.
In 2019, the library underwent a renovation funded by a grant from an anonymous donor through the Washington County Community Foundation, UPMC, and other community contributors. Renovations included cleaning the 100-year-old limestone facade, replacing the original windows, landscaping cleanup, and some indoor repairs and painting. Upon completion, the library was dedicated as the new Charleroi Area Public Library.